Organization of the Bussey MS Band Library is D-O-N-E Done!

Today marked the end of a LONG reorganization of the Bussey Middle School Band Library - seven years long. When I started working at Bussey MS in 2007, the music library was in shambles. Everything was stored in disintegrating music storage envelopes, not much music was actually filed, there were three different number/organization systems ... there was just no way of knowing what was really in that huge library. Chris (my loving husband) and I started by grouping types of music - Marches, Christmas, Popular, Program, & Pep Band music. We put each type of music in a different section of the library and started the arduous process of sorting, boxing, labeling, and organizing alphabetically by grade level. We also looked up the program pieces to make sure they were or were not on the PML - marking the boxes that were on the PML with colored dots (red for grade 1's, yellow for grade 2's, green for grade 3's, and blue for grade 4's). Pieces that fit into more than one grade level on the PML (due to number of movements performed) received more than one colored dot. Here is a picture in the very early stages of sorting:





























As pieces were being sorted, boxed, and labeled, I discovered that there were a number of pieces that had more than one full set. I guess since the previous directors didn't know what they had in the library, they purchased additional sets. Over time, the library started to take shape a little bit. Here are some pictures mid-way through the organization process. These were from about year four I think, we had to tape paper up over the shelves to protect the music when the carpets were being replaced.








































It was decided to store the method books and sight-reading books on the shelves to the left as you walk in the door since they wouldn't be accessed as much. Many of those books were also stored in filing cabinets that were moved into the library (just to the left of the shelves on the bottom picture). Then to the right of those shelves would be where the Marches, Christmas Music, and Popular Music would be stored (alphabetically by grade level). The Program Music (including the UIL/PML music) would be on the back wall - directly across from the door when you walk in. It would fill the entire wall and would make it very easy to find pieces to play. Then the Pep Band music would be stored in the small pep band music envelopes on the more shallow shelves on the right of the door, as well as the instrument method books and solos and ensembles. 

The solos and ensembles were a HUGE chore that I completed last summer. I sorted all of the pieces,  looked up the PML numbers, wrote the PML numbers and grade levels on each solo/ensemble, entered them into a spreadsheet/charms, and boxed them all. I ended up with 1/2" boxes the summer that Southern Music Company was closing down - I thought I bought 1" boxes at a huge discount, but found out they were actually 1/2" (too small for the band music). So, I put them to use with the solos and ensembles. I actually wanted these boxes to be on deeper shelves, but there was no more room. 

So anyway, I boxed and labeled the remaining 25 or so pieces today and reorganized the shelves (I had to move a lot to accommodate the extra pieces added to the shelves). Here are some pictures:











































The pictures show the library from left to right as you walk in the door. I am so psyched to be finished! I ran out of pep band music envelopes so I had to get creative. I had a large number of large greeting card envelopes. They did the trick! I just cut the top of the envelopes off. I had some blank orange ones, but ran out of those so used these cute Halloween ones (since they were also orange). I figured orange was the closest color to the actual pep band music envelopes. 







































Here some pictures showing the pep band music all organized on the shelves (along with some of the ensembles and method books).







































And voila! The library is done! As you can see on the last picture, there is still room for one more shelf. There is a larger shelf that can be cut at a hardware store to fit that space - it's hiding behind the door. I'm so proud of myself. This library is something to be envied. There is so much music (well over a thousand titles - not including the solos or ensembles even). Most of the music is grade levels 1 through 3, but there are even some grade 4's and 5's. The last steps are to copy and paste the solos and ensembles from another spreadsheet onto the Charms template, ask the Charms people to delete the old entries (as I was working on the library, I kept uploading lists thinking it wouldn't show duplicates when it actually did show duplicates), and then upload the new and complete list (with no duplicates). 

What do you think? Feel free to leave comments. :)

Comments

  1. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This has inspired me to totally get to work on the library at my school! Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What were the boxes called that you put the music in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are called Music Filing Boxes. Here is a link to get them from JW Pepper: https://www.jwpepper.com/Music-Filing-Boxes%3A-Instrumental-Size/958314.item#/

      Delete
  3. Great library! What do the red, yellow, green, and blue stickers symbolize? Just wondering.....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red is for Grade Level 1 music on our Texas PML (Prescribed Music List) that we are required to choose music from for our state assessment called UIL. Yellow is for Grade Level 2 music, Green for Level 3 and Blue for Level 4. At the middle school level, we will not have music more difficult than Grade 4. Sometimes pieces fit into multiple grade levels (if you perform a certain number of movements) so I put those multiple stickers on the boxes. The stickers were a quick visual way for me to see what pieces I had to choose from the PML.

      Delete
  4. I know you did this a few years ago it seems, but I just this year inherited a large choral library of over 800 titles that is just about the shape as yours! So excited to use your ideas to redo my library over the summer. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. Since this post, I have moved to another school which does not have a library space as nice as this. All the music is stored in the paper envelopes and jammed into filing cabinets. It is a goal of mine to put up some shelves, buy some boxes and recreate this in the space I have now.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts