Detention Essay

I have a really great group of students this year. I do have some students who have been pushing their limits already though. They are trying to feel me out to see what they can get away with. I tried my Love and Logic and was not very successful. I'm not going to give up on it, but I have to incorporate other strategies. I did have three students who served their detentions they received the first week yesterday after school. They received those detentions for chewing gum (after I had told the entire class to spit out gum so as not to receive a detention) and for talking out of turn. I had them doing chores around the band hall. It gave me a chance to visit with them and talk with them about their choices. It also gave them a chance to see all the things that I have to do to keep the band hall in order. They said, "You have to do this every day?!" while straightening the rows of chairs and stands. 

I printed off this detention essay to hand to a student when they are in the act of making a poor choice. I don't have to say their name or anything. I just hand it to them. They can't argue with me because they instantly know why they are receiving it. They still try though, but I do not engage with them. I'm working really hard to stay unemotional. Kids can really push my buttons. I'm so much more effective when I'm not emotional. I'm standing my ground and the kids are seeing that they can't "get away" with stuff. I had to give out quite a few of these in my seventh period symphonic band yesterday. I know it is tough for that class being the LAST class of the day, but that doesn't matter to me. I need the kids to follow my expectations. They have to copy this essay and turn it in with a parent's signature on Monday. 
If they do not turn it in, it will result in a physical detention and/or an office referral. 

I will be documenting who received the detention essays in Review 360 as classroom incidents. Review 360 is a discipline program our school uses. The principals can view incidents and a digital record is kept.

Comments

  1. A fascinating discussion is worth comment. There's no doubt that that you should publish more on this
    subject matter, it might not be a taboo matter but usually people don't speak about such topics.
    To the next! Best wishes!!

    my page: download youtube videos; https://www.facebook.com,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I get a copy of the entire Detention paper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I get copy of the detention paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the document marked as open and view. You should be able to view the entire document, open with Adobe (it’s a PDF), download to your computer and print. It is not editable though as it is a PDF. I hope that helps.

      Delete
  4. Im desperate . . (first year teacher) I will give it a try

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts