When One Door Closes, Another Opens

So the recording session I mentioned in my earlier posts was a success. We recorded 100 Grade 1-3 band pieces in under 5 days. We used a rotation system, so I only recorded through Wednesday, July 23rd. It was an amazing experience - everyone in the group put together was so talented. It was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. 
The boxes for the 100 band pieces in alphabetical order.

The behind-the-scenes crew - recording engineer, mappers, etc.
(These guys are AMAZING!)

The project was very organized as you can see from this chart.

Look at all those wires! Yowsa!

There were at least 5 of these books of conductor scores!












































































































During the whole process, I was busy applying for a new job. I first spoke with the Waco High School Head Director, Scott Stulir on the Saturday before the recording project began for over an hour on the phone. He seemed to really like me and said he would recommend me to the Fine Arts Director. Sure enough, Phillip Morgan, the Waco ISD Fine Arts Director gave me a call the next day and wanted to meet with me. I had Monday evening off, so I scheduled a FaceTime interview with him. It also went very well - lasting over an hour. He said he was going to recommend me to the Principal, but that she might need to meet with me personally.  

On Wednesday, Mr. Morgan left me a voicemail saying that he needed to talk with one of my references before he could process the paperwork and that he couldn't get in touch with anyone. I then contacted my references and asked if they could call Mr. Morgan on my behalf. Two of the three did call him and said such wonderful things about me. The third was Mr. Corporon who was still busy with the recording session. He said he'd call during the dinner break, but by then I had found out that Harry Blake, one of my references, had already spoken with Mr. Morgan. I told Mr. Corporon not to worry about it - I wanted him to be able to relax during his dinner break. I really appreciated his offer to call though.

On Thursday morning, I received a call from Waco ISD Human Resources offering me the job. I told them that I needed to schedule an appointment to go down to Waco first before accepting the position. I called Mr. Morgan and made an appointment to meet with him the next day at 10:30 AM. 

Chris & I then went to Bussey Middle School to pick up the cans of paint I brought from home to spruce up the band office as well as turn in the school district's iPad's and keys. We then went home and quickly packed up some bags; dropped our dog, Dottie, off at the kennel; and drove down to Waco that afternoon. We rented a hotel room so that we could be all rested prior to the meeting the next morning. 

We got up early and drove around prior to the meeting. At 10:30 AM, we met with Mr. Morgan, Mr. Stulir, and Ms. Hall (the school's Principal) at the Tennyson Middle School Band Hall. We were able to walk around and check out the space as well as ask more questions. We asked if we could go to lunch on our own to talk prior to giving our final decision. They said that would be fine. 

We went to Chuy's and talked. It seemed like a no-brainer to take the job. The space really needs some help (old, low ceilings, no instrument lockers, etc.), but everything else seems perfect - supportive administration, supportive parents, a decent budget, two assistants, etc. We told Mr. Morgan that we'd meet him back at his office in the admin building at 2 PM. We did - and said yes. 

Since we were there, Mr. Morgan asked HR to print off my contract for me to sign. I signed it and stayed for a Skype interview with a candidate for one of my assistants (I am needing to hire the two assistants - one brass and one percussion). 

There are food and coffee trucks in the parking
lot for the admin building (on the roof).


Signing the contract.



















After the interview, Chris & I went to visit a couple apartments for me to possibly move in to. We only had about an hour to scout them out. We chose a really nice apartment at Pecan Ridge. Pecan Ridge is just a few minutes down the road from the school near Lake Waco. It is where a lot of the Baylor University Professors live - tucked away and quiet. It is a one-bedroom on the second floor with a balcony overlooking a green-belt and dog park. It is recently renovated/upgraded with new black kitchen appliances, built-in bookshelves, and new granite countertops in the kitchen and bathroom. It also has nice big closets and a small pantry. We filled out the lease agreement and put the apartment on hold. 

There are a few loose ends before the apartment is officially ours though. They need to have proof of salary at least three times the rent. I will need to call HR tomorrow morning and see if they can fax a statement on official letterhead to the apartment complex with what the base salary is for my position. I've asked Garland ISD to send my teacher service record and official transcripts to Waco ISD so they can calculate my correct salary. It will probably take awhile for those important documents to make their way to Waco ISD, and I don't have that kind of time. I'm really hoping the Waco ISD HR Department will meet my request. I know they are extremely busy with new hires. I really don't want to lose this apartment though. I need to start moving in on Wednesday.

























I've been working to prepare for my new position for the last two days. I also have my sister designing a band logo. Chris has been working on getting my Bussey Band website changed over to a Tennyson Band website too. There are so many unknowns I need to get answers for. I'm getting a little anxious and want to get certain things going right now. I'm usually way ahead by this time in the summer. I know I'll get it all done, but I'll be living and breathing work until the start of school.

I also took about an hour this evening framing pictures to bring to my new apartment. I will start packing up the things I'm going to bring to the apartment tomorrow. We will not have to buy any furniture. We have so much stuff that I can just bring from the house here - and it will just declutter the house a little bit. 

I'm not looking forward to being away from my husband, but we will make arrangements to see each other as much as we can. I can come up to Rockwall on the weekends, and Chris and Dottie can go down to Waco sometimes during the week. We'll make it work. It will definitely be a change though. It might be better this way too - I can then spend the kind of time needed at the school without feeling guilty for not being at home with the family. 

I find it kind of ironic that I turned in the keys and closed the chapter for my job at Bussey on the same day I was offered the job at Tennyson and am starting a new chapter. Another form of irony - guess what was in our mailbox when we got home on Friday night? My last paycheck from Garland ISD was sitting in the mailbox. 

One door closes...another opens.

Here are some pictures of the school. I will post more pictures and blog entries as I get the band hall and apartment ready. Stay tuned!


The Tennyson Texans!

Comments

  1. Hi Kim!! Welcome to Waco! I graduated from Baylor recently with my Mus Ed degree & moved to San Antonio. This past Spring, my sorority & our brother fraternity, Tau Beta Sigma and Kappa Kappa Psi donated a bunch of supplies to Tennyson. II'm sure you're familiar with the organizations since you're in SAI, but please know that if you ever need any extra help around Tennyson/Waco, feel free to contact those BU Organizations!! :) Best of Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that! I did notice a small TBS box in the music library/storage room. And there are a lot of supplies. That's good to know where they came from. I'm thankful to not have to spend any budget money on them. I can spend money on instruments!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts