Middle School Band Scope & Sequence


In order to create some more focus in our band program across the board, I created a middle school scope & sequence for our band program. It can always be added to, changed, etc., but it is a starting point - a way to focus our teaching. I've shared the charts in a google drive with my assistant directors, high school directors who come down to help, the school principals and fine arts director. 

I also created scope & sequence charts for each beginner class for each six weeks to help focus our beginner teaching specifically - to keep us on the same page and make sure we are all teaching the concepts needed each six weeks. Our beginners are what set us up for success - start them well and the rest is gravy. 

We are fortunate to have a team of three directors at the middle school - woodwind, brass and percussion specialties and we all have the same conference period too. We can check in with the scope & sequence charts to make sure we are where we want/need to be. I admit that I haven't always been the best with communicating with my team. It is a goal of mine this year to improve in that area. I think these charts will aid in our focus of ensuring we are teaching our students all they need to know.

Do you utilize a scope & sequence? Have you found it to be helpful? Is it a requirement in your district to have a scope & sequence for band? How do you focus your teaching? I found it very helpful to create these - especially the instrument-specific ones for the beginners. It was great listing instrument-specific things I want/need our students to learn. It will be great to show to the students as well. I think it will help to focus their learning. 

Well, thanks for listening. I hope you are enjoying your summer and have a great school year. 

SaveSave

Comments

Popular Posts