Create your own planner - it's worth it!


So...I love the summer because it gives me time to organize, prepare and be creative. Instead of spending money on an expensive planner that has stuff I don't need and at the same time doesn't have everything I need, I made my own. I LOVE using canva.com to create all kinds of things. It is free too! You can upgrade and get more options, but I haven't done that yet. I did have to create two projects for this planner because it limits you to a certain number of pages, but that's okay. I created the entire planner in color, but our color printer is not working. I just purchased some erasable markers on Amazon.com that I used to make the planner colorful as well as fill in the dates - if/when the dates change, I can just erase them. ;)

On to how I made my planner... In canva.com, there are different templates for different projects (social media squares, letter size documents and presentations just to name a few). You choose your template and then you can choose pre-designed layouts or design your own using tools such as backgrounds, shapes, lines, grids, text (in many different fonts, sizes and colors), as well as uploading your own images. For the planner, I chose the US Letter template and uploaded the band logo I created for the cover page. I used two fonts - Aileron Thin & Lemon Tuesday - throughout. I utilized some of the elements from the erin condren planner that I liked and found some great quotes that spoke to me. For me, I wanted to have some To-Do pages, blank planning pages, reflection pages, pages to list goals and such as well as the calendar pages. For the calendar pages, I used the shapes tool and made the squares that I copied and pasted throughout the pages. That was the most time-consuming thing. Once I created the first month layout, I just needed to change the numbers in each square as well as the month title and special monthly images. It was somewhat time-consuming, but was a labor of love. I am a paper planner girl. I just operate better when I can physically hold my schedule in my hand and see things all laid out versus having it electronically only. Now mind you, I do have a google calendar that I've shared with the administration and other directors, but this planner is for me. 

Without further ado, here are pictures of all the pages. They are in a 1/2" binder. If it was cheaper to print the sheets double-sided and in color and then comb-bind them, I would totally do that. However, this'll do. 

Pictures are posted in order. First is the outside cover. 

Then the first side-by-side spread. Like how I have so many goals, I ran out of room? :)

Then the yearly spread. It has each month and the important dates for each month. May is always the busy month. It says, "Motivation is what gets you started. Planning is what keeps you going." across the top. 
I think it is important to reflect on the previous school year - what went well and should be repeated as well as some lessons learned (things not to repeat). I also think it's important to dream and have big wishes and to-do lists are a MUST!


July
Teach with P(atience) U(nderstanding) R(espect) P(assion) (l)O(ve) S(kill) (high)E(xpectations). It's important to be grateful and make a list of things you are grateful for. And again, to-do lists. :)
 August
For my monthly focus, I listed pieces to study and copy.

And I LOVE this quote.
September
In band, teaching kids to count is fine, but teaching them what counts is best. 

Brain dumps are always important. 

And again, to-dos...

October - isn't that pumpkin cute? :)

Our motto at Tennyson Middle School is "Texans have TRUE GRIT!" (Our mascot is the Texan)

Another goals page 
November - I love the leaves and turkey. :)
Mid-year check-in & blank page to brain dump

December - ice skate & winter hat

Contest focus, to-dos, beginner priorities and honors band priorities

January - I love the snowflakes. :)
I love this quote too - It's not hard. You just think it's hard because it's new. Practice makes it not new. 

Again, to-dos (an entire page!)

February - of course, there had to be hearts. 
Another great quote - Three things you should never break: promises, trust & someone's heart.

And another monthly focus page.

March - clover and all.
Probably one of the most important quotes - Don't just wish for it, work for it!

And another brain dump & to-do's page.
April - flowers! 

Another great quote & and all-important page to list the things I'll need to buy before the yearly budget ends.

May - more flowers. :) Look how almost every day has something planned!
Just like the mid-year reflections page, but this time it is an end-of-year reflections.
And last, but not least - June. :)

I hope you liked my walk-through my homemade planner. If I can do it, you can do it. Play around on canva.com and make your own however you'd like. It's really pretty easy - a little time-consuming, but pretty easy. AND...it'll be personalized just for you! 






Comments

Popular Posts