Beginner Note Identification & Fingering Tests

It looks as if we will have very large beginner classes next year - a good problem to have, I know. In order to assess the students' knowledge of reading the notes on the staff and remembering the fingerings, I am creating worksheets in which students will show they know both these things. They will write in the letter name of the note shown on the staff as well as color in the fingerings for those notes. Prior to these worksheets/tests, the students will be quizzed on each concept individually. I have many note identification worksheets that I've used in the past and which will suffice for that concept. Fingerings will be assessed in class through questioning and individual playing. I also have games to quiz students in class on both. 

These worksheets will be used for formal assessments. I have created one test so far (for the woodwinds) and will create more to take us through the school year. For flute (and oboe since they are in the same class), the first test utilizes just the left hand notes (G up to C). I first teach the notes G, A and B and then add in the chromatic notes up to C before involving the right hand notes. This is different from the way beginner method books are arranged. For clarinet, I again utilized only the left hand notes to start. For saxophone (and bassoon since they are in the same class), I started with Concert Bb up to Concert F. `Here is what the flute worksheet looks like:
As I complete the worksheets, I'm adding them to a folder in my personal google drive. You can access them here (click "here" to access). As I'm writing this blog, I've only created one test for all the woodwind classes. I plan on also creating a set for the brass and percussion. I'm am fortunate to be in a position in which I teach all the woodwind classes (my specialty) and have two assistants who teach the brass and percussion classes. I'd like to have the same tools/resources for my assistants to use with their beginners though - so all our students can be assessed the same way. As stated above, when I complete more worksheets, I will upload them to the folder in the google drive so you can utilize them as well. I hope these are helpful to you. Thanks for stopping by!


Comments

Popular Posts