Creating Student Leadership in Your Band Program


Student leadership is important for a band program in many ways. I think it is important that it is done correctly though. When I was a student in my middle school band, transitioning from seventh to eighth grade, we had a new band director come in when the previous director left. He was organized, caring and did great things for the band program. When he came in, he changed the structure of the band program - getting rid of the Advanced Band and going to a grade-level structure with a seventh grade band and an eighth grade band. Prior to this director's appointment, as a seventh grader, I had been in the Advanced Band (one of only 4 seventh graders). With the new director going to grade-level bands, all of my eighth grade friends who hadn't been in the Advanced Band as seventh graders were now together with me and the other three former Advanced Band students. The new director wanted to have a band council and had the other band members vote. I ran for President, but most of the other band members voted for the other candidate because they knew her better. I held some resentment because I truly felt like I was the better candidate. 

In high school, the director assigned section and squad leaders and held auditions for drum major. She hired outside directors to judge the auditions so it was a totally fair process. I thrived in my high school band. My director saw the potential in me and my desire for leadership. I served as squad leader my sophomore year, section leader my junior and senior years and drum major my junior and senior years as well. My love of music coupled with those leadership opportunities set me on a path to become the band director I am today. 

At my previous school district, I was the only band director and NEEDED student leaders to aid in some of the tasks that could be delegated. I appointed leaders for different tasks as I did not want leaders selected from a popularity contest. I had students who were equipment managers, keeping the band rehearsal areas neat and tidy and setting up and breaking down the set up for concerts. I also had section managers who took attendance for their sections and checked uniforms at performances, passed out and collected sight-reading music and occasionally led sectionals. They were also in charge of making sure the tuners were turned off, clips removed and wrapped and then put back in the correct storage pockets. I also had music librarians who helped organize the sheet music in score order, pass out and collect music. The percussion managers I chose helped in assigning parts and keeping the percussion cabinet organized. 

In my current situation, I have two assistant directors and probably don't even need to have student leaders, but I think it is still important for the students to have more responsibilities. I have gotten to the point where I appoint section managers and have created a culture in our band program of hard-workers and students who want to help with anything and everything. We usually have no problem setting up for and breaking down after concerts. We have tons of student help. With the section managers, I assign one student for the flute and oboe sections, one for the Bb soprano clarinets, one for the alto saxes and horns, one for the trumpets, one for the trombones, one for the euphoniums (we have 4-5 euphoniums), one for the low reeds and tubas and one for the percussion. They are mostly in charge of passing out and collecting the sight-reading music or other papers. The percussion manager probably has the most responsibility - ensuring everything is set up for rehearsal and then making sure everything is put away after. I make sure to let them know that they need to delegate and make sure everyone does their part - that they aren't expected to be the only one doing everything.  When passing out new music, I put it in the students' music folio slots. Section managers also are charged with making sure the members of their section can play the music in rehearsal well. If they hear someone in their section struggling with something, they are encouraged to work with them and practice with them outside of class. The section managers are the voice for their sections. They are encouraged to come talk to me about any concerns their section might have. When I choose the section managers, I talk with them about my expectations are what their responsibilities will be. I let them know if they were uncomfortable with the appointment, that was okay and I would choose someone else. I also know that I expect them to be the role models for the band and if I witness behaviors that are not worthy of the title, I would replace them. I have had success so far and am even seeing students actively serving as leaders in the high school band when they leave my program. In the Waco High School Band Program, nearly 100% of the student leaders are former students of mine. It makes me so proud to see them growing and thriving in their element. 

Comments

Popular Posts