Band Camp Day 3

Summer band camp has been very successful. The kids are making real headway on their All-Region/All-District music. At the beginning of the camp I told them that I just want progress every day - that if I can hear improvement each day I will be happy. That has been happening with one exception. The trumpets did not make any progress on one of the two etudes yesterday. I just pointed that out, they nodded, and we moved on. I'm sure it will be better today. I've just been really impressed with the kids' work ethic this week. They've been pretty punctual, they've come ready to work, and they've been practicing. A few kids in particular have really surprised me in a good way. I'm learning to never make judgements about the kids. Kids change over the summer - most of them grow up and mature. The previous year they can be untrustworthy and disrespectful, and then it seems like overnight that can all change. 

I'm looking forward to a year of positive progress from all the kids. I'm going to focus more on the process and less about the prize. The prize will take care of itself if we do the process correctly. No more "keeping my eye on the prize." I'm going to keep my eye on the kid (in a professional way) - I'm going to make sure the kids are getting the instruction that they need to be successful. I'm going to continue to push the kids to take private lessons. And I'm going to get the kids to stay organized and use SmartMusic. 

Well, today is the last day of sectionals in band camp. There is no camp tomorrow. I actually have AVID path training tomorrow and Saturday. Then more staff development next week. We are going to have full band rehearsals though from 5-6:30 (after SD) on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of next week. Sixth Grade Orientation is next Thursday and then school starts on the 26th. The start of school is right around the corner!

Comments

Popular Posts