Countdown to the start of school - 7 days

Today marks one week before school starts. With the exception of fine arts teachers, the rest of the middle school staff is meeting with departments today, which means that us fine arts teachers can get things done (an entire work day with A/C!). Here's what I've accomplished today (it's a little past 4 PM right now):
1. I stuffed the assistant principals' elongated pillow boxes with goodies. I haven't given it to them yet though, so I can't reveal yet what I stuffed them with. 
2. I made the little notes from me to go on the outside of those gifts, printed them, cut them out, and used double-sided tape to adhere them to the boxes. I kinda wish I had my modge podge though so they'd stay better. I used the little saying from yesterday's blog and put my name and the year 2013. 
3. I made all the documents I needed to print into PDF's and printed them. I went through about a ream of paper to do so. 
4. I prepared all of the stuff I printed to be copied (we have to fill out these copy request forms for the school's copy person to copy).
5. I hung up my helper stuff on the bulletin board.
6. I made the percussion assignments for all the pep band music, printed them, and posted them on the chalkboard back by the percussion.
7. I hung up some good information for the percussion back in their area (on the blackboard). 
8. I got all the marching percussion instruments laid out with mallets and everything for tonight's full-band rehearsal.
9. I wrote the order of the pieces we will play tonight on the whiteboard at the front of the room. 
10. I got my pep band folder together - creating signs for the book (I hold up signs that have the names of the pieces we are going to play next. I keep the signs in clear sheet protectors in a 3-ring binder. I also keep my scores in there as well as the permission slips when we go to the games.). I also created a Table of Contents for myself because there are so many pieces!
11. I began figuring out my lessons. 

Students just started showing up too for our 5 PM rehearsal. I guess their parents had to drop them off this early? I think I'm going to have to end this blog for now. After rehearsal ends at 6:30, I don't think I'll want to do anything else. 

Tomorrow's day will be at the Atrium in downtown Garland. We will be having a school staff development. I will also be meeting a potential new band student and their parent (they are meeting me at 11:30 AM). I will have full-band rehearsal from 5-6:30 PM again tomorrow. 

Well, ta-ta. More entries to come later - with lesson plans you can download and adapt. :)

Comments

Popular Posts