Decorating the band hall & getting ready for band camp registration

I'm sorry I didn't post a blog entry this morning. I guess I'll post tonight for both yesterday and today. I've been getting the band hall ready for band camp and the start of school the past couple of days. First, of all, here are the labels I made for the file cabinets and some of my desk drawers in my office.




























Yesterday, I also got my tuners put back up. At the end of the year I always take the batteries out and store everything. I got my number labels laminated and cut them out (this took forever)... They look really nice though. The numbers will correlate with numbers on the chairs and stands and with the students. If a tuner goes missing, I will know who lost it. 

























I tried to use double-sided tape to adhere the labels on to the chairs and stands, but they would NOT stay (worked for the tuner pouches though). I then tried scrapbooking tape with the backing you have to peel off. After many broken nails and them still not sticking, I gave up and ended up tackling them the next day (today). Here are the labels laying on the chairs and stands.

























Last night when I got home, I printed the All-District music and marked the pass-off cuts for each week. I went to Staples this morning and made copies. They are all sorted out for Chris to give out to the students at Band Camp Registration. 
























Chris will get the appropriate All-District music, the appropriate scale sheet, the correct Concept Sheet (daily drill warm-ups), and the correct part for the Fight Song, School Song, Hey Song, Sunshine of Your Love, and Land of 1,000 Dances. All of those Pep Band pieces are staples that we play every year. I picked out a number of other tunes to read during the second week of band camp. I will then make copies of the ones that I see working for us as a band. Chris will also grab a supply sheet (my apologies if the formatting is a little screwy). 
























All of the music and the supply sheet will go into a 9 X 12" clasp envelope (bought those at Staples today):
























I will print 4 labels for each student with their name and band locker number (they will get locker assignments at band camp registration) - one label for their instrument case, one for the inside wall of their band locker or on the shelf where their instrument is stored, one for their band binder, and one for the binder folio shelf. The labels will go inside of the envelope as well. The students will be instructed to put them on those four places as soon as possible. Click here for the template. It is a Pages document (MacBook Air). My apologies if you cannot open the file.

At the registration, I will assign school-owned instruments and band lockers to the students. I've been trying to figure out how to print the district instrument rental agreement through Charms, but I haven't found it yet. I will just have to have the students fill out the hard copy of the agreement. The students will also pay at registration for the school-owned instruments. I will write receipts on the spot and put the cash in my trusty lock box (deposits will be made soon after).

























The students will also go into one of the practice rooms to update their contact information in Charms on one of the computers. Here is the packet I made giving step by step instructions to the students on completing the task. 

So, I guess I'm all ready for band camp registration!

After my Staples visit (my third visit in three days!), I went to Hobby Lobby to buy a glue gun to attach the laminated number labels to the chairs and stands. It sure did the trick! Yea!




















While at Hobby Lobby, I saw so much cute stuff! Look at these cute and colorful music notes and treble clefs! If only some of these were yellow, black, or white - I would have TOTALLY bought them!
























50% off too! And look at this cute owl stuff. I wanted one of those black metal owls so bad (only $19.99). The stuff on this shelf is not 50% off, but look how well it compliments the music stuff in the picture above. Super Duper Cute.


















I resisted though. I did however buy two things (both 50% off) - vinyl wall decals that say, "Cherish yesterday, Dream tomorrow, Live today." I will be putting them on the back wall (picture to come once their up) & a black picture frame to use for my daily objective:



















I used one of my new Expo dry erase markers that I won! I also got some bulletin boards decorated. This one is complete - just will need to display who my helpers will be:
























I'm so sorry about the poor lighting. The ceiling is pretty low over here. I should have used the flash.
This board will be the general board. I still need to get my borders laminated for this board.

























It's kind of difficult to see, but the border is black and grey. And this is my sectionals board. It is actually a dry-erase calendar board. It looks pretty crummy though. I used a wet erase marker last year so the kids wouldn't wipe it off, and some of it will now not wipe clean. I used double-sided tape so it would look nice. I think I need to get the permanent kind though, because it wants to unstick and fall off. I also need to get the borders for this board laminated.



















I have the section names written on the owls.
And lastly, I organized my bulletin board stuff. I sorted my letters into Ziplock freezer bags a couple years ago. I then put them in my bulletin board storage bag. Here are the bags all laid out - as I was searching for letters (and putting a lot of loose ones that were just floating around in the large storage bag.




















There are still a lot of letters that need to be cut out properly. I also discovered a BUNCH of letters and borders and such that need to be laminated still. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I found this cool border storage thing in the dollar section at Target. I thought it might be a good way to display my helpers' names - like a word wall thing. It is yellow too! However, it works perfectly for its intended use. All my borders that I'm not using fit in there nicely. I can roll them up and hang them up in the storage closet.



















Once you roll/fold it up, there are these great velcro straps! And it has a loop to hang up:

























You can see the large bulletin board storage bag at the bottom of the picture. I purchased that at a teacher store YEARS ago. It is pretty full. :)

Oh! Almost forgot! I made a welcome pennant banner that I will print, laminate, cut out, and hang by the door to the main hallway. I think it's pretty cute. You can download it here. I will punch holes in the corners and run some cute ribbon through it. The owls will hang on either end with the letters spelling W-E-L-C-O-M-E will be in the center. Here is also just the owl on the chevron - to frame or just laminate and hang up. Love, love, love!

Well, gotta get to bed, folks! G'nite!






Comments

  1. How do you use the numbers on the chairs and stands?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The #'s on the chairs and stands correspond with the tuners - that way I know who's got what tuner checked out easily. Also, it keeps the band hall neat (I'm pretty anal about keeping the rows neat). And, it helps with seating charts - you can just number the seats on your chart and then have a numbered list with names corresponding to their numbered seats.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts