Garland ISD Convocation & Sixth Grade Orientation

Today's Convocation for the Garland Independent School District was pretty amazing. Our new Superintendent, Dr. Morrison, was great. He is very personable and focused. He seems like a pretty fun guy. He even came to our Fine Arts Staff Development yesterday and made it known how much he really supports the fine arts. 

There was also a barbershop quartet that sang the National Anthem and a children's choir who sang a beautiful song. But the real hit was our speaker, Dr. Adolph Brown:
He was so fabulous! Here are my notes from his talk, or "Real Talk" as he called it:
More is caught than is taught.
Leadership isn't a title, it's an action.The tree is in the seed of every student.Don't judge their exit by their entrance.Every student every day.Genetics may load the gun, but environment pulls the trigger.Basement or balcony person?Take parents seriously, not personally.When things go wrong, don't go with them.Excellence, not perfection.Wheel barrel = carry ALL the students.Fair (carry all the students), firm (consistency, limits, and boundaries), fun.Relationships.Attitude is more important than aptitude.The moment you judge somebody, is the moment you loose the ability to love that person.Dance through the storms.Teach the difference between a mistake and bad choices.It's not about where you're from, but where you're headed.

Here's a picture of me and our choir director. Man! I do not picture well! I need a hair cut and to lose like 50 pounds! And get a tan... 

It really was the best convocation I've been to so far. You should check out Dr. Brown's website - click here

After convocation, we were on our own to work in our rooms (and watch like 30+ videos/slides). We then had our sixth grade orientation. How many of you do an orientation for your new sixth graders? Here's how ours is structured: the sixth grade students and their parents (well, more like their entire families) meet in the cafeteria where they are greeted and given basic information from our head principal. In the past, all of us sixth grade teachers were also introduced, but this time it was so crowded that we were dismissed pretty early. The cheerleaders also do a cheer and walk around and help everyone. I also have a couple handful of band students help as well. Then after the "spiel," everyone is dismissed to go the gym to pick up a copy of their schedule (not the official one they need on Monday). They can also purchase a planner, a school spirit shirt, and other uniform parts at tables in the gym. There are also tables to learn about PTA, Girls With Goals, AVID, Choir, and Band. Here's my table:

I had a bulletin board with information about the different instruments (in case there were students who wanted to be in band, but didn't know which instruments they were interested). It also had a QR code that they could scan to get my contact information and the information on how to subscribe to Remind101.
















I had one side of the table set up for students who were already enrolled in band (for their parents to check a box if they were interested in volunteering or wanted information about private lessons. The other side was for students who were interested in band, but were not enrolled. I also had supply lists and the music store information:
















I had my flower pens - they look so pretty. ;)




















Here's a picture of me behind my table:



















Here's a picture of the craziness (there were a LOT of people):

Here's one of my helpers. :) She's a seventh grader. 

I still have videos/slides to watch by tomorrow and a few things to do in my room, but I'm feeling a little better about being ready for Monday (I was a little stressed last night and this morning). 

It's all about the kids! :)

Comments

Popular Posts