Don't Do Anything That Can Be Done By Someone Else (freebies)

"Don't do anything that can be done by someone else." This is what John Whitwell said this summer at the Art of Teaching Music Seminar at SMU. He suggested delegating simple tasks to your students and parent volunteers so you can spend time doing only what you can do - studying your scores, planning your lessons, etc. I really have been doing everything - straightening the chairs and stands, picking up trash, etc. I would get frustrated that the students wouldn't do it just the way I wanted. I just need to learn to teach them how I want it to be done and praise them when they complete the task(s) to my satisfaction.

So, I assigned some of those simple tasks to appointed section managers and other band officers. 

I also have many tasks that parent volunteers can help with:






































Our school offers a Parent Volunteer Award so I also created a Parent Volunteer Sign-in Sheet:






































I know that I will have to put in some time with my helpers at the beginning of the year to make sure they understand my expectations, but once they are trained, it will save me so much time. This is so major. Time is GOLDEN to me. 

Comments

Popular Posts