Summer Band Postcard

Summer Band Camp is right around the corner and students have already been contacting me to find out when camp is (despite the fact that I gave them a flyer with all of the information before the last day of school). I will be calling students tomorrow, but I also created a postcard to send out. 

Here's the front side:



















And here's the back side:



















The only issue I'm running into is that Pages (MacBook Air) can only Merge one entry per page (and the postcard template I'm using has four to a page):




















So, it looks like I have to do a lot of work to get it right. Buggers! I have to remember it will be worth it though when most of the kids attend Summer Band in a couple of weeks. 

I'm also hoping my kids are more motivated to attend camp this year seeing as I told them they would earn points towards band placement if they attended. I told them their tentative band placement at the end of last school year, but they know that they can either move up or down a band based on summer band camp attendance. It seems that even though the students are given the dates of summer band camp VERY early, many students are still off on vacation until right before school starts. Many of my students visit grandparents in Mexico until the weekend before the first day of school. We'll see if band placement means enough to the students to get them to attend summer band camp. 

At summer band camp, we work on fundamentals, scales, All-District Band Audition music, and the pep band music that comes as a huge shock to many of the students because it is much more difficult than they've seen yet. Summer band helps to get the kids' chops back in shape after the long break. It also gives us time to get to know each other (with a new school year comes a new band). 

I'm confident that this year's summer band will be well attended and that we will all make a lot of great progress. :)

Note: this blog entry was written on Sunday, July 28th, 2013 at 4:25 PM.

Comments

Popular Posts