Music Literacy Powerpoints

I truly believe in making my students into "whole" musicians. I want to teach them about music theory and history, as well as performance. But I evaluated my teaching and realized that there wasn't really a whole lot of that happening. So, I created Music Literacy Powerpoints for each six weeks with daily "Bell Ringers." There is one slide for each day of the school year. On each slide is a short music clip (from orchestral to wind band to vocal - and from solo to large ensemble) that plays automatically. I will start the slide when the bell to change classes rings so the students can listen as they enter the band hall, get their instrument, music and supplies, and sit down. On the slide is the Listening Journal for the day (the title, composer, arranger, performer, and genre of the piece they listened to) for them copy in their Listening Journal which will be kept in their band binder. It also has a music vocabulary word and definition for them to copy in their "music dictionary" which will also be kept in their band binder. And then lastly, each slide will have a rhythm (one measure long) to copy onto their Rhythm sheet (to be kept in their band binder). They will also write the counting underneath the rhythm. Here is a picture of one of the slides:


I changed the look for the second semester. Here is one from the second semester:


It is the chalkboard template. 

Once the bell has rung for class to start, we will talk very briefly about what they heard and about the vocabulary word (to see if they understand and/or have any questions). We will then count, clap, and play the rhythm of the day. After that, we will go into our Daily Drills which include long tones, lips slurs, register slurs, scales, and articulation exercises. Then of course the band music we are working on and sightreading. I plan on using SmartMusic for short sightreading exercises, and I'll of course have my sightreading folders for reading full band pieces. 

I think having the Music Literacy Powerpoint every day will set a tone for the start of class. I'm looking forward to utilizing this. It will give me a chance to enter attendance as well (instead of trying to do that during daily drills or later in the day). 


This is the first slide for each six weeks. I could have kept going with the P's...Precision...Perfection...

Comments

  1. Are you willing to share your powerpoints? I teach middle school band, orchestra and choir and I think this is an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, the files are way too large. I've actually been re-saving each week with only that week's slides. I also couldn't get the music to play on the powerpoint - so I've just been playing my iTunes playlist that I created for these powerpoints on my iPhone through my stereo. I have to hit rewind and play on my iPhone between each class and then I pull the iPhone out of the stereo dock when it finishes (so it doesn't skip to the next piece). It's not the best situation, but it is working all right. I like exposing the kids to different kinds of music and teaching them a little vocabulary, rhythm, and music history. I also like being able to take attendance on my iPad while the kids are writing and listening.

      I just created the powerpoints based on what music I had. I may just upload each week's power points - people could just change out the pieces. Not sure though. I've been really swamped.

      And, thank you for the compliment. :)

      Delete
  2. My name is Liz Barkan.

    You're whole site has been a pinterest goldmine! I think that the binder and these power points are super cool! I would really enjoy utilizing this in my school as well! Would you be willing to share?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing...I tried to find this powerpoint that I had created years ago and could not for the life of me find it! I ended up creating a new one last year that I managed to use only through the first half of the year. You can view one used for the first six weeks with this link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=17vGx8xZcda1WpwbedH2bPFQNKOY7gDRY

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts